Business Development Support for a Waste to Energy Power Plant Project in Malaysia for DOOSAN LENTJES
- Country: Malaysia
- Year: 2021
- Client: DOOSAN LENTJES
- Industry: Technology
- Doosan Lentjes wanted to participate in a tender that was inviting international technology companies to bid for an EPC project and to design, engineer, built, and operate the first industrial size WTE plant in Malaysia.
- Even though the client did have vast international experience in such cases and tender submission the challenges in this project were tremendous.
- The project was very political and had numerous challenges to deal with.
- Since Doosan Lentjets did not have a local office or representative in Malaysia the communication with the end-customer was not as good as it was supposed to be.
- The challenge to bring down the cost by using local suppliers and vendors to the maximum was also not taken seriously in the beginning as there was no visibility towards the availability and the quality of local sub-suppliers.
- The technological advantage of our client was proven in many other places in Europe and the USA but not in Asia. Political lobbying was needed to convince the end customer that the proven technology could also perform in the tropical conditions in Malaysia.
- Last but not least, the project was facing internal struggles between different departments within Doosan Lemtjets. The end customer did not have a single point of contact for the project, which made them confused.
- The recognition and awareness for the WTE technology as a solution to the waste problems in Asia is still limited.
- Our team was appointed to be the representative in Malaysia and we served as the point of reference for all stakeholders during the complete tender process from A-Z.
- Our team started to collect bids from local suppliers and submitted them for evaluation and auditing to the engineering units and thus helped them to bring down the cost. Not only for this specific project but also other projects in the region.
- By attending meetings with the customers, conferences, public hearings, and workshops with all stakeholders, we created awareness for the client’s brand and assisted in the realization of the WTE technology in Malaysia.
- The cooperation between Asian Insiders and Doosan Lentjes did have numerous benefits for the client as they continue to develop their strategy to pitch for more WTE tenders in the region.
- Even though the bid was finally won by a competitor, our client Doosan Lentjes was very happy with all the lessons learned. The knowledge about how the Asian markets and specifically in Malaysia work are of major importance for any future tender.
- The database with new vendors for their components and subcomponents is of tremendous value also in any other global project.
- Doosan Lentjes is eying future tenders in the region for WTE projects and surely there will be the first reference plant with Doosan Lentjes technology soon.